- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/4 of small head)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups (or more) canned vegetable broth
- 6 2-inch-diameter beets, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup drained canned chopped tomatoes
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion and sauté until cabbage softens, about 5 minutes. Add 8 cups broth, beets and tomatoes. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Working in small batches, puree 4 cups of soup in blender; return to remaining soup in pot. If desired, add more broth by 1/2 cupfuls to thin soup. Add lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with parsley. Serve, passing lemon wedges separately.
Bon Appétit, March 1998