- 6 Tbs. olive oil, preferably fruity and full flavored
- 1-1/2 large heads of broccoli (1-3/4 lb. total), cut into
- 1-1/2- to 2-inch florets to yield 6-1/2 cups (discard the thicker parts of the stems or save for another use)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. freshly grated Parmesan, preferably parmigiano reggiano
season: spring, fall
Set a heavy 9- to 10-inch skillet over medium heat with the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the broccoli and sauté, stirring frequently, until it turns bright green, about 2 min. Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to low so you hear a steady low to medium sizzle.
Cook the broccoli, stirring occasionally, for about 20 min., lowering the heat at any point if it gets too brown (a crackling sound indicates the heat is too high and that the broccoli may start to burn). Reduce the heat to very low and continue cooking until the broccoli is unevenly browned and tender but not mushy, another 15 to 20 min. Transfer the broccoli to a warm serving bowl, toss with the grated cheese, taste for salt and pepper, and serve.
Recipe by Leslie Revsin, Slow-Sautéed Spring Vegetables