Community Supported Recipe Box
Vegetable Soup with White Beans
This is a great opportunity to use the leftover veggies in your fridge! Don't be afraid to substitute.
- 2/3 cup dried Great Northern beans
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion or green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini or squash, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bunch kale or Swiss chard, stems and ribs removed, leaves sliced
- 4 ounces cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces green beans, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 4-ounce slice pancetta or bacon (optional -- or add a vegetarian “meat” product)
- 10 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
season: summer, fall
Place Great Northern beans in large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover beans by 3 inches; let soak overnight. Drain. Return to saucepan. Add enough fresh cold water to cover beans by 3 inches. Simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain. Puree 1 cup beans in processor. Set aside pureed beans and whole beans. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and parsley; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add remaining vegetables and pancetta; sauté 3 minutes. Add 10 cups broth, pureed beans and whole beans. Cover; simmer until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold. Cover; chill overnight.
Bring soup to simmer. Remove pancetta. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle remaining oil over soup and serve.