- 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cleaned
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 6 small to medium parsnips, sliced
- 4 leeks, rinsed, sliced into thin rings
- 2-4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (you may make your own, but I cheat and use Progresso Italian Herb style)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar, packed
Sauté leeks in 2 Tbsp butter until translucent and lightly browning. Separately, place Brussels sprouts in a skillet with butter over medium heat, cover and steam/sauté until tender and brown in places. Set aside. Into the leek pan, pour 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and simmer lightly. Add remaining vegetables and continue to cook with lid on, 3-5 minutes. Add cream and stir well, then remove from heat and mix gently with Brussels sprouts. Press evenly into a 9" square baking dish.
In a separate bowl, blend breadcrumbs and cheese well, then top the vegetables with it. Evenly pour the remaining 1/2 cup vegetable broth over top. Bake at 350° for 1 hour, then uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.